Frequently Asked Questions
Learn More from our Portland Property Management BLOG
- Your home must be left in professionally cleaned condition. A&G would prefer to arrange this cleaning to ensure that the cleaning guidelines are strictly followed.
- The carpets must be freshly cleaned and all debris and personal belonging removed from the house.
- You should consider painting any room that has dirty or marred walls. A neutral color is best. We will be happy to discuss any necessary repairs or painting with you.
- Neutral window coverings such as blinds should be left; however any themed roomed window coverings' should be removed. Tenants moving into a rental property do expect some sort of window coverings to be provided for privacy and safety.
- Whether or not the washer, dryer, or refrigerator should be left depends on the property and can be discussed with us prior to placing the home on the rental market.
- The tenants are requested to maintain the yard in the condition it is provided to them. Therefore, the yard should be freshly mowed, weeded, trimmed and the leaves and debris removed.
- In most cases, the security deposit collected upon move-in is more than adequate to repair the minor damages caused by tenants. Tenants with excellent credit and references seldom cause much damage and almost never in excess of the security deposit. Our screening company checks criminal, credit and eviction records as well as job history and landlords.
- Should the tenants leave the property owing more than is covered by the security deposit, they will be billed. If they do not pay, it will be turned over to a collection agency.
- Your home will immediately be put on our list of available properties utilizing all avenues of advertising: A&G's web site, external signs, internet, open houses, etc.
- We are in frequent contact with many real estate agents in the Portland metro area, relocation offices of major companies, and a large pool of tenants-in-need.
- It normally takes two to four weeks to rent a home. It sometimes takes longer in the winter. A home goes on the list of available properties as soon as we receive notice from the existing tenant and permission from the owner to re-rent.
- We normally take a refundable security deposit totaling one month's rent and rent from the date of possession (keys received). The property is automatically professionally cleaned and locks changed between each tenant.
- The security deposit is held in a Clients Trust Account, as mandated by the state of Oregon's Real Estate Agency.
- Pet owners are not a protected class. However, by eliminating them you are probably eliminating 75% of the people in the market for a rental house! Being open to pets does make your property available to more potential renters. Additional deposits for pets are generally $250.00 and $25 pet rent per pet. The $250 deposit is deemed refundable only after the property has been inspected to confirm that the house is in its original condition.
- All of our properties prohibit smoking, in the interest of protecting your investment, as well as the health of the neighborhood.
- Children come under the protected class of "familial status" and it is not possible to discriminate in this way.
The rental funds must clear their banks before we can begin disbursing funds. It usually takes two weeks for such clearance. We begin the payment of bills on the fifteenth. Statements to owners, along with their checks, go out between the 15th and 30th. The statement will have all activity on the account for that month.
- A&G will be responsible for handling all emergency calls. You will never be called in the middle of the night!
- All non-emergency repairs come to us as a work order request submitted by the tenant. If it is a repair essential to the maintenance of the property and less than $250, the repair will be ordered and you will see an entry for the payment of that bill in your next statement. If the cost is more than $250, or if there is a question of what should be done, we will e-mail/call you for approval.